History of the Department
The Electrical and Electronics Engineering department started in the year 1997 with 40 intake in Bachelor of Technology in Electrical and Electronics Engineering Programme. Department intake increased to 60 seats in B.Tech EEE in the year 2001, later intake increased to 120 in the year 2007. The Department started M.Tech Programme in Power Electronics with 18 intake in the year 2006, M.Tech power system program started in the year 2014 with intake of 18.
B.Tech EEE program got accredited for four times in the years 2006, 2009, 2014 and 2017, M.Tech Power Electronics program in the year 2016 and M.Tech Power Systems program in the year 2018 by the National Board of Accreditation, New Delhi. Department is recognized as Research Centre for Ph.D program by JNTUH. UGC granted Autonomy for a period of Six years w.e.f the Academic Year i.e 2014-2015 to 2019-2020. NAAC accredited the Institute with ‘A’ grade for a period of 5 years w.e.f. 08 July 2013. GRIET is accredited by SIRO by Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DISR). Ranked amongst 151-200 rank band in Engineering category by national Institutional Rankings Framework (NIRF) 2018, MHRD, Govt of India.
The Department has professional bodies like IEEE, IETE and ISTE to augment the subject domain and life skills for the students by making them to participate in the different events. Department has well qualified and experienced faculty with varied domain expertise as per requirements suggested by UGC, AICTE, and JNTUH. The Department was recognized as remote center for IIT Bombay and IIT Madras learning activities, through this program department conducts number of FDPs to enhance pedagogical and technical skills of faculty. Department signed MOU with the Academic Alliances: Texas A & M University, IIT Hyderabad, IIT Bombay & IITKharagpur under NMEICT, National Instruments for LabVIEW Academy and Industry Alliances: Analogics Tech Pvt. Ltd., Future Tech Instruments Pvt. Ltd., NRSC, TCS, etc.
The Department has well developed laboratories such as AC/DC Electrical machines lab, Power electronics lab, Control systems lab, Electrical networks lab, Sensors, Measurements and Instrumentation lab, Micro controllers lab, Power Systems Lab, Digital Signal Processing lab, Power Electronics and Drives Lab, Programmable Logic Cotrollers lab and Labview/Matlab lab. Software such as Labview, Multisim, Matlab, Pspice, Eagle, Tasm, Proteous, Keil, Arduino, Powerworld, Code Composer Studio, XillinX are provided to the students. The department maintains updated printed laboratory manuals in all the labs. Department has installed grid connected113KW solar power plant.
The motto of Electrical Engineering Department is to make the students as entrepreneurs. Students are directed to learn hands on experience in laboratories to design a product during projects. Department faculty along with the students developed number of products through which considerable revenue generated for the further development of the department.
Department organizes number of events such as paper contest, project contest, conferences, workshops, pre-placement training and Faculty development programs(FDP) for the benefit of student and faculty members. All the students of Electrical and Electronics Engineering department gainfully placed in reputed organizations or they opt for higher studies in India or Abroad. Remedial classes for slow learners are being conducted to improve the student academic performance.
The Faculty of Electrical and Electronics Engineering follows Outcome Based Education model to ensure best possible final outcome. Department believes in the constant development by taking feedback from students, parents, Industries, Professional bodies, Employers and alumni for the further improvements in the departments.
Vision of the Department:
To become an internationally leading department for higher learning which contributes to success in life, career of graduates and to help society to achieve self-sufficiency.
Mission of the Department:
To impart technical knowledge and skills required to succeed in life.
To build upon the culture and values of universal science and contemporary education.
To be a center of research and education generating knowledge and technologies which lay groundwork in shaping the future in the fields of electrical and electronics engineering.
To develop partnership with industrial, R&D and government agencies and actively participate in conferences, technical and community activities.
Program Educational Objectives
- Graduates will have a successful technical or professional careers, including supportive and leadership roles on multidisciplinary teams.
- Graduates will be able to acquire, use and develop skills as required for effective professional practices.
- Graduates will be able to attain holistic education that is an essential prerequisite for being a responsible member of society.
- Graduates will be engaged in life-long learning, to remain abreast in their profession and be leaders in our technologically vibrant society.
- Ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- Ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
- Ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to identify, formulates, and solves engineering problems.
- Understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- Recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- Knowledge of contemporary issues.
- Ability to utilize experimental, statistical and computational methods and tools necessary for engineering practice.
- Graduates will demonstrate an ability to design electrical and electronic circuits, power electronics, power systems; electrical machines analyze and interpret data and also an ability to design digital and analog systems and programming them.